Unable to create new files or EDIT  in any folder
When I login to ANY windows server 2008 as any user other than ADMINISTRATOR I am unable to create new files in any folder, the option is simply gone from the context menu, all I can do is create a new folder. The user I am logging in as is a member of the ADMINISTRATORS groups and thus has FULL permissions on all folders. I also cannot EDIT files unless I first run a text editor as administrator first and then open the file from there which is very annoying. If I open the text editor "as administrator" this then seems to break the ability to double click a file to open it or right click "open with". Is there any solution to these issues?Russ Michaels
September 13th, 2011 6:46am

Hi Russ, The "Any folder" in your title should be "any build-in folders", is this correct? As accounts in local Administrators group are actually work like a standard account when UAC enabled, the permission for "Users" group is actually applied. Thus we will not able to create files in build-in folders like Windows, Program Files etc. You can test to disable UAC and reboot the computer to see if you can create files. As generally we will not disable UAC, you can also create a group including these accounts in Administrators group and give it write permission to workaround this.TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2011 3:42am

it is actually ANY folder except my own user folder. so not even c:\ As best practice is NOT to give everyone the administrator login, it seems odd that other users whoa re also ADMINISTRATORS do not have the same rights. I do not really want to want to start using workarounds, is there no official or correct way to address this restriction ? Russ Michaels
September 14th, 2011 4:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics